Has the writing bug been biting you for a long time? Do you have a storm of ideas, stories, and thoughts running through your mind waiting to be put on paper in the form of a book? Were J.K.Rowling, Sidney Sheldon, and Jeffery Archer your icons since childhood? And most importantly, do you think you have the art and skill to write a book and get it published in the market?
Book Writing Tips
- Love Your Work- The best way to get more and more ideas about a certain topic is by loving and enjoying it to the core. Don’t write for the heck of it.
- Let Ideas Flow Freely - Start with a theme or storyline in your mind, and write as many lines as you can. Put no rein on your imagination. Please note that ‘A fertile mind can make the best author’. Don’t worry about errors; you can rectify them at the editing stage.
- Set a Target – If you wish to get your book published before the end of this year, start today. If you are going to write 200 pages, divide them into chapters, and aim to finish writing a chapter or two every day. It is recommended you set your goal low if you are a first timer. You can always raise the bar once you achieve some initial success and muster up more confidence.
- Thorough Editing – Make sure your book stands true to the standards of English grammar and sentence structure formation. Rule out typo errors. Cite proper references, where necessary. If your book belongs to a certain genre, follow the guidelines set for that. Get your book reviewed by a peer or a senior editor for greater accuracy.
- Personalise Your Style - Don’t worry if your writing style is different from other authors; nobody wants to read a copycat version of an author. Your uniqueness could become your winning factor.
- If you want a publisher to get your book to the market, send your manuscript to as many publishers as possible. The rejection rate of manuscripts is very high. Contract with a book agent to represent you, and avoid sending unsolicited manuscripts to publishers.
- If you opt for self-publishing, it may work in the small run. But, for overwhelming success and for a wider audience reach, involving big publishers to publish your creation pays off.
- Online book publishing in the form of EBooks is easy and will surely get you some viewership and possibly some readership on the internet.
- Search online databases for a list of global publishers and book agents. These databases make your search easy and convenient. If you wish to target another country, get the contact numbers, addresses, and other details about the relevant publishers and literary agents out there. Only contact agents and publishers who deal in the genre of books for which you are writing.
Jasmine Roy has extensive experience in writing on a range of topics. These portals not only support publishers, new authors and freelance illustrators, they also provide valuable information and services to publishing agents and agencies.